Thursday, October 31, 2013
Sunday, October 20, 2013
Sunday, October 6, 2013
Wednesday, July 10, 2013
Wednesday, May 15, 2013
Friday, May 10, 2013
Thursday, February 14, 2013
Saturday, January 12, 2013
- The Kentuck Museum, March 7th - 30th
- The Carnegie Visual Arts Center, May 17th - June 29th
- The Wiregrass Museum of Art, Nov 2013 - Feb 2014 (TBA)
- Berea College, Fall 2014 (TBA)
Tuesday, September 25, 2012
Saturday, August 18, 2012
Friday, May 25, 2012
• "The HELMET Project Comes to the Montgomery Museum of Fine Art" During the week of September 10 - 16, The HELMET Project will be exhibited at the museum. A host of events will take place as part of this project, including a number of installations for photo-documentation by High 5 Productions on Monday, while the museum is closed to the public. On Tuesday Sept 11 as an eleven year anniversary of the tragic events of 9/11 Chapman will be doing a series of gallery talks.
* 3pm Gallery talk with College and High School Students from the area.
* 5:30 Gallery Talk and Reception, open to the public and hosted by the Museum's Junior Executive Board.
• The Red Clay Survey: Gary Chapman's painting, "RE Creation," has won the Alabama Artist Cash Award - 2D in the Huntsville Museum of Art Exhibition, "The Red Clay Survey 2012: Exhibition of Contemporary Southern Art." The exhibition is up May 20th to September 16th. Here is a link to the site and catalog: www.hsvmuseum.org
Sunday, April 1, 2012
Wednesday, February 22, 2012
Wednesday, February 8, 2012
Friday, January 20, 2012
• The Coal Life, poems by Adam Vines: Chapman's painting, "Insight," from the Anatomy of Reality Series, has been chosen for the cover of The Coal Life, poems by UAB Professor Adam Vines. The book will be available in February and you can pre-order a copy at the following site: Amazon, Adam Vines, The Coal Life
• The Coal Life, poems by Adam Vines: Here is a direct link to the publisher, The University of Arkasnsa Press, where you can read a few reviews and order the book directly: The University of Arkansas Press
Saturday, October 8, 2011
• UAB Reporter Article and Video, The HELMET Project:
August issue of the UAB Reporter with a feature article and video on The HELMET Project with Shannon Thomason can be seen electronically at this site:
UAB Reporter, The HELMET Project
• The HELMET Project: Coming Soon!
To read about The HELMET Project you can download the following pdf. If you would like to receive updates on the project, e-mail me with your request and I will include you on the group list.
Helmet PDF (1.2MB)
Thursday, October 14, 2010
• BLUE CANVAS: Chapman's work can now be see on the Blue Canvas site: http://www.bluecanvas.com/gcpainter
• 100 SOUTHERN ARTISTS: Chapman's work has been selected for publication in the upcoming book, 100 Southern Artists, by Schiffer Publishing. The book will include artists from Alabama, Florida, Georgia, North Carolina, South Carolina, Virginia, and West Virginia. The book should be available late 2011 or early 2012.
• SECAC PANEL: Chapman will be presenting a talk at the Southeastern College Art Conference (SECAC) as part of the panel, "Eclecticism, Appropriation and Forgery: Issues of Borrowing in Art Eclecticism." The conference is hosted by the Savannah College of Art and Design, November 9 - 12.
• THIRTEEN SEEDS: Chapman's painting "Thirteen Seeds," which is part of the Anatomy of Reality Series, has been purchased by the University of North Florida Gallery as part of his current solo exhibition with the Gallery. The painting will become a part of the institution's permanent collection and will be on display this summer in a Works From the Collection Exhibition.
• FAHRENHEIT 451: Chapman has painted the set for Birmingham Theatre Downtown's January production of the Ray Bradbury classic, Fahrenheit 451. Tickets can be purchased at:
• LOVE THIS QUOTE: Beefsteaks. Sledgehammers. Missiles. Gary Chapman’s paintings read like the thesis your English professor always dreamed you would write — finely crafted, evocative, eloquent. Not surprising coming from this accomplished artist and educator. There is something thrilling and fresh about his symbolic economy in these paintings. Chapman is a self-professed realist, and his paintings combine a sophisticated understanding of subject matter and admirable technical execution. Be sure not to miss Chapman’s show “Paintings,” on display now at the Krantz Art Gallery. The closing reception is Monday from 4-6 p.m.
LEO Weekly Nov. 20 21. Posted by jtriplett
• AVAILABILITY: The availability of Chapman's work can now easily be determined by scrolling through the web site. Paintings no longer available are marked SOLD for private collections or are listed by the corporate or museum collection where they are held. All other work is currently available.
• MASTERPIECES CENTER STAGE: Chapman has been invited to participate in Masterpieces Center Stage, a traveling exhibition of works created specifically to be auctioned off to benefit Alabama Shakespeare Theatre of Montgomery. Chapman's painting MACBETH can be seen below.
Show and auction dates are:
Berman Museum, Anniston, Feb 3 – 6, 2011
Mobile Museum of Art, Feb 10 – 1, 2011
Littlehouse Gallery of Birmingham, Feb 24 – March 5, 2011
Huntsville Museum of Art, March 24 – 27, 2011
Montgomery Museum of Fine Art, March 31 – April 9, 2011
Auction and Cocktail Party at Alabama Shakespeare Festival April 25, 2011
• GIRL WITH PUFFIN: Chapman’s painting, “Girl With Puffin” has been purchased by Children’s Hospital of Birmingham, for the corporate collection. The piece is temporarily in storage and will be installed in the brand new, expansion facility scheduled to open in 2012.
• RECYCLED ART EXHIBITION: Chapman and his intermediate and advanced students will be installing a one-night exhibition of work created from the Altering A Painting assignment. The exhibition RECYCLED ART 2 will be on view at Bare Hands Gallery Nov 19th from 6 to 9pm.
The assignment began with the artist’s pillaging area thrift-stores and yard sales. The objective, to find and rework an existing painting thereby altering the viewer’s interpretation of the original work of art. The results are hilarious, irreverent, tacky and even scary. This is the second time Chapman has used the assignment in one of his classes. 35 artists will be participating and a powerpoint presentation will be running during the exhibition providing viewers a chance to see the paintings Before and After. Here is a link to the article published in the November issue of the UAB Reporter.
• ARROWMONT WORKSHOP: Chapman once again, will be teaching a one-week, summer workshop, “Painting With Oils: Creating A More Convincing Illusion” at Arrowmont School of Arts and Crafts in Gatlinburg, Tennessee. June 5th to the 11th 2011. Here is a link to the Arrowmont site: www.arrowmont.org
• NEW AMERICAN PAINTINGS: Chapman’s work has been selected for the recently published book, New American Paintings. The competition was juried by Barbara O’Brien, Curator of the Kemper Museum of Contemporary Art; Kansas City, MO. The three paintings, “Re-Engage”, “Re Creation”, and “Life During War Time” are included in the book along with an artist statement, brief bio and headshot. This is Edition 88, the Southeastern Region which includes 13 states and Washington DC. The book is being sold at Barnes and Noble, Books A Million and art book stores across the country. Eventually you will be able to order a copy as a back issue at the New American Paintings website: www.newamericanpaintings.com
• POSTER DESIGN FOR "HUMAN CONDITION" EXHIBITION: A really handsome poster was produced for the recent 4 person exhibition “Human Conditions: Works by Gary Chapman, Patrick Earl Hammie, Sara DiDonato and Charles Caldemeyer.” The posters design centers on Chapman’s painting Re Creation. The exhibition ran from 9/15 – 10/8/10 at the Claypool-Young Gallery; Morehead State University, KY. Here is a pdf of the poster for viewing and printing: MSU Poster (3.3M)